Tourism

Hiking routes




Eagle Nests Trail


     The oldest and most representative pedestrian trail is the "Eagle Nests Trail" marked over 50 years ago in red.

Delineation of this pathway leading through the highest peaks of Jura, was suggested in 1927 in ‘The Earth’ journal by Stanislaw Leszczynski.
In 1930 the red trail was appointed. It runs from Krakow hatching in the north-west area through the Ojcow Plateau and Teczynski Hunch, and then returning to Krakow. The route was full of many landscapes and sightseeing attractions.
Because the trail was not maintained or renewed by anyone, the signs are no longer visible and the trail disappeared.

Project of a new route was announced in 1948 by a well-known tourist excursionist Kazimierz Sosnowski. The designation of the route took was finished two years later in 1950 thanks to funds from the Ministry of Communications. Then the trail route was amended and adjusted several times to guide the tourists through the most attractive scenic areas of Krakow - Czestochowa Upland.
The route joins Czestochowa and Krakow with the majority of the Jurassic castles, from which it took its name. Historically, since the unavailability of Jurassic fortified castles, it was compared to the eagle nests.

On the way of this trail there are the remains of castles: Olsztyn, Ostreznik, Mirow, Bobolice, Morsko, Ogrodzieniec, Smolen, Bydlin, Rabsztyn and Ojcow and a rebuilt castle in Pieskowa Skala. There are also the palaces in Zloty Potok and Pilica.
The trail also runs through a number of nature reserves.
The first interesting spots are Olsztyn reserves: ‘Zielona Gora’ – The Green Mountain and ‘Sokole Gory’ – The Falcon Mountains.
Next the trail runs through The Park Reserve  - ‘Rezerwat Parkowe’, Ostreznik, Gora Zborow and Smolen and finally Ojcow National Park.
The trail begins in the center of Czestochowa next to the church of St. Sigismund and ends near the Wawel castle in Krakow.
Almost the entire route passes very varied, rocky terrain with many natural and historical peculiarities.
Along the way, we meet also many historic churches such as in: Olsztyn, Zrebice, Zloty Potok, Niegowa, Skarzyce, Pilica and Giebułtow.


The Trail of Jurassic Strongholds


     The second route leading through the whole Jura - The Trail of Jurassic Stronghold marked in blue. It starts in Rudawa near Krakow and ends in Mstow near Czestochowa.
Even though Olsztyn is not on this trail, it is extremely  interesting and worth visiting. You will find here the ruins of 14th century defense watchtowers in Suliszowice, Przewodziszowice, Lutowiec and Ryczow and the ruins of the castles in: Ostreznik, Morsko, Ogrodzieniec, Smolen, Ojcow and Grodzisko as well as religious monuments in Mstow, Zrebice, Skarzyce, Zawiercie, Ogrodzieniec, Dłużec, Wolbrom, Imbramowice and Rudawa.
Reservations on this route are near Ostreznik, Gora Zborow, Smolen and also Ojcow National Park.


The Trail of Zamonit


     The yellow trail of Zamonit leads from Poraj and the reservoir with the source in Zaborze, passing watchtowers in Suliszowice, Zloty Potok and reserve parks, Niegowa, Bobolice, Skaly Kroczyckie, reservoirs in Przylubsk, Siamoszyce, Krepa and Centuria, roman church in Giebla, the castle in Ogrodzieniec to Niegowonice.

In addition, there are several very interesting and shorter hike and bike trails which were set for spending a few hours of the weekend there.


St Giles’ pathways


     The trail begins in Olsztyn and passes through the reserve of Falcon Mountains to Zrębice and ends at the historic church of St. Giles in Zrębice. Length of the trail - marked with green color - is 8 km. On the route there are many objects that are worth seeing: Moving Crib of Olsztyn, the mountain Biakło, caves in The Falcon Mountains and places associated with St. Giles: St. Giles’ Rocks, St. Giles’ spring, Chapel of St. Giles and the historic church of St. Giles in Zrębice. The trail leads through beautiful forest land and is an ideal place for people who prefer spending time outdoors in an active way.

St. Giles' Pathways have been drawn in the summer of 2007. It was supported by the Silesian Voivodeship and Olsztyn Municipal Government. Executor of the project was the Municipal Cultural Center in Olsztyn, in cooperation with the Municipal Office in Olsztyn. The initiators of the new routes are: Jurassic Association of Rural Tourism and Rural Regeneration Group Zrębice.

What does the legend say?

     "According to the local administration long time ago a terrible plague exploded near Zrębice decimating the people and their home belongings. Many left the infested houses and went to live in the woods. When a group of those unfortunate poor people was praying in the woods begging God for mercy, a figure of a serious old man in a hermit robe appeared on the nearest rock. This phenomenon frightened some of them and others aroused the belief that it is a sign of divine mercy. That shining figure was St. Giles. He encouraged everyone to repentance if they want the plague to go way, and then he showed them the spring in the rock whose water was used as a remedy against the contagious fever. Those who saw this revelation returned to the village and told everyone what needed to be done to appease an angry God. People went into penance, as once the people of Nineveh, and when the plague ceased, they decided to build this memorial chapel of St. Giles. The person who supervised this project was Fr. Bartlomiej Magdalinski, which we can read about in the visit of Komorowski, the general official in the Krakow diocese that took place 25th January 1748. Among the biggest drought the source is never dry and is frequented by the pious people.

Source: Devotion to St. Giles and the news of the parish and the church in Zrębice, author: Fr. G. Augustynik

St. Giles’ hermit life

     St. Giles, a hermit and an abbot, lived at the turn of the 17th and 18th century. He was born in Athens and after living in Rome and Catalonia he became a hermit at the Rhone River in southern France. It is believed that the then ruler of Septimania, king of the Visigoths, Flavius Wamba, gave St. Giles a land on which the hermit founded an abbey, later named after him - Saint Gilles, and existing to this day. St. Giles, belonging to the most Fourteen Holy Helpers, always recognized a great reverence in Poland in the Middle Ages. He has been called for help by people overcome by fear and nightmares, wounded and sick people, hunters and fishermen, barren marriages, nursing mothers and wet nurses. Gall Anonim reported in his Polish Chronicle, that King Wladyslaw Herman and Judith’s son Boleslaw was born thanks to the intercession of Saint. Giles. In gratitude, King Boleslaw Wrymouth – ‘Krzywousty’ then made a pilgrimage to the shrine of St. Giles in Somogyvár, Hungary.

A great honor which he enjoyed from nursing mothers and wet nurses was due to the legend of the hermit life of St. Giles of the period. According to Father Piotr Skarga in "Lives of the Saints" (1579) St. Giles lived in his hermitage just eating herbs. At the command of God a doe was coming every day to the hermit's cave letting him to milk it. When God decided to reveal the holy hermit to the world, doe was wounded during the hunt and ran away before the dogs and hunters into St. Giles shelter. The holy man prayed and nothing bad happened to the doe. The next day hunters came to the hermit with the king, bishop and other clergy. One of the hunters shot from a bow and wounded the holy man. The king, who came to the cave, saw a venerable old man and a doe lying next to him and felt compassion for the hermit. St. Giles asked God not to heal the wound giving a contribution to the continuous suffering.

Contemporary Poles are increasingly asking for intercession of St. Giles in cases of small and great importance, but still very rarely achieving St. Giles the patron for their children.

Marking the route is part of a project entitled ‘Recreational tourism routes and places of cultural heritage in the municipality of Olsztyn’. The value of the entire project is 14,000.00 PLN. For the implementation of this project the municipality has received a sum of 5,000.00PLN from the budget of Silesian Voivodeship Government, and has made itself 9000.00 PLN.


The Wooden Architecture Route



     Wooden Architecture Trail is the greatest initiative in Europe because of the diversity and multiculturalism of the trails, routes and regions. This project is a way to save the architectural heritage of old villages from oblivion. It mostly preserves architecture but also a folk art and culture itself.
Many monuments like churches, Orthodox churches, wayside chapels, houses, cottages, manor houses, wooden farm buildings, inns and forester’s lodges, palaces and open-air museums are objects which have been entered into the UNESCO World Heritage international lineup. The project is also supported by the National Service of Protection of Monuments - Monuments Protection Bureau as well as by local governments.
The buildings were marked with information boards - facing the main entrance to the premises. They inform about the history of the places in three languages (Polish, English and German) and involve a schematic map of the entire route followed by the location of the building on the trail. (Wikipedia)

In the district of Olsztyn there are two objects lying on the trail of wooden architecture:

Jan Wewiora’s Moving crib
in a wooden hut from end of the 19th century

1, Kuhn St., Olsztyn



St. Giles Catholic church (1789) in Zrębice 


     Information about a  parish in Zrebice appears in 1334 on the list of tributes to the Pope and it is mentioned as Sdrzambicze (a place deprived of bushes and forests). According to the administration village Zrębice and the castle in Olsztyn were established at the same time during the reign of King Casimir the Great in the first half of 14th century. In 15th century, The Salaries Book by Jan Dlugosz gives a description of the parish, its salary and tithes paid to Krakow bishopric (LB II, 222). The parish was also mentioned in 1529 as belonging to the Lelow deanery and in 1581 the village Zrębice was listed as belonging, in terms of a secular government, to the castle of Olsztyn. The next description of the parish and the wooden church was given in 1598 during the visit of the bishop of Krakow, Cardinal Jerzy Radziwill. Zrębice, Krasawa, and Kuznica-Losiny belonged to the parish at that time. A new parish in Poczesna was created in 1606.

In 1778 the wooden church was already rapidly declining  (it was probably the wooden church built by the foundation of King Casimir the Great). In 1782 visitor, Father Jacek Kochanski, ordered a major refurbishment and the construction of a new church. Currently existing wooden church was built thanks to the efforts and expense of the parish priest, Father Wojciech Buliński in 1789. Certain parts of the first church can probably be found inside.

Monuments in the church are:
•    A painting of St. Giles painted for the Chapel of St. Giles in the fields thanks to the efforts of Bartlomiej Magdalinski, the parish priest in 1652. It was taken to the church in 1789 as a result of the destruction of the chapel. 
•    Image of Our Lady called Betlejemka at the side altar, dating back to 15th  century, painted by an unknown artist.
•    Figure of the Risen Jesus dating back to 17th  century. Both the figure and Betlejemka were stolen in 1998.
•    Stone font with the crowning of chain from the 18th century.
•    Baroque altar (18th century).
•    Copper stoup in the porch (1717).
•    Bell from a wooden bell-tower  (1632). 
•    Old lime trees growing round the church.


Restaurants and Accommodation


1. Mały dworek ("Small manor"), Olsztyn
   
22, Kuhn St., 42-256 Olsztyn
    tel (0-34) 3285-019
    tel. mobile: 784 254 875
    E-mail: biuro@malydworek.com.pl
    www.malydworek.com.pl

    Our facility is located in the beautiful village of the northern part of Krakow-Czestochowa Upland just 15 miles from the center of Czestochowa and six miles from the highway A-1 Katowice - Warsaw. Such location offers easy access to the center of Czestochowa as well as to the road A-1 Katowice - Warsaw and the national road No. 46 Czestochowa - Kielce. And it is located only 300 meters from the market square in Olsztyn.

In the restaurant there is a fireplace lounge for guests with comfortable chairs and a bar. In the front building just above the dining halls, there are two apartments for two or three people each. In the depths, just 10 meters from the restaurant there is a two-storey building with 13 guest rooms with 35-40 beds. All rooms have bathrooms and TV sets. We are also preparing a wireless internet access. We have two suites of a high standard, additionally equipped with refrigerators. Guests who use the apartments can order room-service and enjoy a sauna (1 hour a day) included in the price.
The house features a large recreation annex with a sauna, swimming pool, whirlpool, heated massage tables and a gym. On request, we offer guests physiotherapist who performs therapeutic and relaxing massages.
There is also a beer garden and a beautiful garden fountains, cascade  and a gazebo with beautiful evening lights. The whole building is very intimate and offers complete relaxation and meals in a pleasant atmosphere. There are 6 parking places for guests. For the safety of guests the site is 24 hours guarded. The restaurant offers a wide range of gourmet cuisine and traditional Polish cuisine, contemporary Polish cuisine and Italian cuisine prepared by skilled chefs. The bar offers a fine selection of spirits and wines.
In the summer we offer cart rides through the beautiful surroundings of Olsztyn and in winter we organize sleigh rides with torches, music and hot wine.



2. "Stajnia Biały Borek" (“Bialy Borek Stable”) - Biskupice
   
121, Zrębska St., 42-256 Biskupice
    Phone 0 600 096 708, 0 603 930 703
    www.stajnia.civ.pl

     Borek White Stables Restaurant is located in the building of logs, which is adjacent to the historic nineteenth-century wooden hut. Stylish, moody interior with fireplace and clinker floor creates a unique atmosphere.

Stable is located at the foot of Sokole Mountains. Walk comes to a nature reserve.

Our restaurant can prepare for your meeting commemorative banquet feast. We organize events for companies with actors and other artists. Hosted such Andrew Sikorowskiego, Michal Bajor, Katrzynę Groniec, Magda Umer and many other artists.

In winter, we invite you to a wonderful sleigh.

Menu to determine.



3. Zacisze "- a restaurant, Olsztyn
   
23 Zielona St., 42-256 Olsztyn
    Wieslaw, Jerzy DOBIECH
    tel (0-34) 3285-194
    tel.kom.: 0 691 034 886

     Restaurant Zacisze is located at Zielona Street  in Olsztyn near Czestochowa. It is a quiet nook, where you can admire the panorama of ruins of the medieval fortress of Olsztyn and at the same time eat homemade meals. Everyone can choose a meal according to their tastes. We offer full board and organize special events (up to 50 people).

There is a parking space and a friendly accommodation in nearby B&B farms. We operate tours. In the surroundings of our restaurant there is plenty of beautiful and interesting tourist attractions:
- Falcon Mountains (2 km)
- Coral Cave
- the ruins of fourteenth-century castle
- historic baroque church
- moving crib
- theater "Stodola".
Good location for cycling and walking tours.


Tourist Information


Jura Tourist Information
Tourist Information Point
"OL-TUR-2"
Boguslaw Bednarek
13, Zamkowa St.
Phone 0 663 770 833
Olsztyn

Jura Agroturism Information
Stanislaw Kozubek
17, Glowna St.
Second Zrębice
42-256 Olsztyn
tel / fax 034/328-62-28,
Phone: 0 605 532 097


see also Agroturystyka



         © 2017 Zamek Olsztyn. All rights reserved. statystyka
Realizacja: ERMATGROUP